Friday 16 December 2011

Barbara Kruger Project




a.       What do you see in this piece of art (describe it)?
I see a woman of the forties, thirties or fifties who is pretty damn proud of her position in life. Do you see her eyes? Can you meet this feminine glare? Those are the all too perky pupils of a serial killer. The lips split into a smile that stretches from ear to ear. This unnatural Stepford smile epitomises the hopeless servile housewife who brainwashed by a capitalist patriarchal society now whole heatedly believes that a woman's work is in the kitchen. Her pretty little world consists of matching pastel coloured appliances, a hot meal on the table by six and a drink in his hand by seven. The arrogant Betty-Crockeresque demonstrates that what was most detrimental to woman's rights was the mindless gals who agreed with their male oppressors, those who worked against womankind from the inside. This is a picture not of a woman but of a pawn.
b.      What kind of message did you try to give in this piece of art?
Suffrage hasn't stopped no more then the manipulation of the brain dead masses has stopped. The wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead. Oppression may take new forms now and there is advancement for the roles of women and their place in the workforce but this was not always the case. The message that the words convey in their yield to the left lane yellow is that of one frustrated with being trapped in the role of the housewife, angry with her life, angry with herself, giving the only piece of advice that has allowed her to maintain any facade of sanity in an oppressive marriage " JUST BAKE THE ANGER AWAY, HON". She is emotionally dehydrating each day and expressing her pain through the gift of baking. The bottom piece is based around the idea of a window with a pie just left to cool on the window sill. The rightmost piece is more reminiscent of the bars that keep women in the kitchen and out of the workforce. The only outlet is aggressive baking and the pies taste bitter. So very bitter.
c.       Do you like or dislike this piece of art?  Why?
 I saw this picture on the web and despite ibosses futile attempts I have it.
I knew form the moment I saw it it was the picture that summed up the motif I was striving for. She was my muse and my medium.  So yes I do like this piece of art. I'm happy with my colour choice as yielding yellow is a bright eye catching colour and goes with the theme that runs through the art. My choice of wording is decidedly different from Kruger in that there viewer is more addressed than society as Kruger more often then not addresses society as a whole. Usually she expresses her message in less words too, but I am content if not personally please with my choice of words, the thoughts they provoke and the balance between the image and the wording. One thing I wish i could change is the size of the wording in the last piece. I would make all the words except THE and ANGER smaller so you could read the emotion and see the smile beneath from across the room. I did not do this because the text was already very pixelated and I could not risk losing the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment