Friday 9 December 2011

Plaque Attack Reflection

What did you like most about your game?
The enemy organisms a.k.a. Wurms. I liked the way their animation turned out and if I had more time I would animate their bodies to writhe and squirm. If I could make the game more complex I would have a end boss fight. Allow me to set the stage: you click the PLAY button. You, Jerry the germ are drifting through the dental void but you cannot see a tooth marked for colonisation. Only rows of glittering white chompers and one conspicuously massive enamel mountain (a super big tooth). Without warning the tooth explodes revealing the Queen Wurm! you must fight for your life, shooting protoplasmic bullets at the Mother-of-All- Wurm, all while not crashing. This boss battle would be epic beyond  belief and there would be heaps of confetti for your triumph. I would also have Wurms that hide under teeth and then pop up wearing the tooth a hat/ camouflage and spit projectiles at you. Another factor could be the mouth your colonising could close slowly. Just think of the pressure you would feel as you avoid collision with the teeth below only to find teeth above slowly crushing your single celled body. FUN. Also my landing pads are clearly marked and you don't die one invisible obstacles.

What could be improved?
I do not know how to or if a Wurm/ movie clip can be edited by I wish I did so I could make the Wurms in the last level look better in size, individual in wrinkles and as stated before I would make them squirm. So much potential. I could make it look like they actually bored out of the teeth they inhabit. Any other complaints I have are simply do to the efficient but simple programming.

How is this game an improvement upon the original?
Where the original was mundane I tried to create a sense of purpose and attachment to the character you play: Jerry. His struggles are your struggles, his triumphs your triumphs and his horrible cytoplasmic explosion your annoyance and encouragement to try again. You feel the patriotism for Germopia, a home you've never been to. But only if you read the text.
You don't have to read the text because the game is so simple and visually pleasing. You play a cute little green germ in an unwelcoming environment composes of yellowing enamel, decaying cavities and grotesque Wurms. This visual and thematic creative is vastly improved from the original moon lander that was dull.

All in all I'm please with the result and have gotten various compliments from fellow classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment